Sunday 11 December 2011

Saturday Playlist (on a Sunday)

As I never got around to doing my Saturday Playlist yesterday, here it is today!

"I Wish"- The Barents Sea
Dan sent me on this album last week after finding it somewhere on the interweb as only he can. The Barents Sea comprises of four lads from Scotland. They've got that indie rock thing going on with bluesie undertones and a few nice harmonies. This song is from the album "Bear Island" that is well worth a listen if you have a lazy Sunday afternoon to spare.

"The Blues are Still Blue"- Belle and Sebastian
I first fell in love with Belle and Sebastian after their input into the soundtrack of the film Juno. Later I was introduced to their track "Sukie in the Graveyard" by my friend Christina and since then I haven't really looked back. 
Hailing from Scotland like "The Barents Sea", with nine albums in their wake there's a wealth of musical greatness to chose from should you wish to have a listen. This song from their 2006 "The Life Pursuit" album is a favourite of mine but I would suggest a lesser known "BBC Sessions" album if you're looking for something to talk about on a date and impress your musically interested, would-be-suitor. 
They also have possibly the best "bio" section on their website ever.

"I Want You"- Bob Dylan

"I Want You"(Bob Dylan Cover)- Bruce Springsteen
Two tracks here; the original and the cover. The latter was played to me by the fella and is a favourite song of mine now. Unlike the original, Springsteen gives a softness to the melody and a listfulness to the lyrics. The song becomes gentler and more romantic. Although usually not a fan of covers, in this case I prefer Springsteen's take on the song to Dylan's.

"Forever Young"- Bob Dylan
Unlike "I Want You", I don't think any cover could top Dylan in this song. His husky voice is just perfect and this song always makes me nostalgic, but in the best kind of way.

That's it today for my Saturday Playlist (on a Sunday). 

No comments:

Post a Comment