Sunday 16 October 2011

View From a Small Window


I can't really see much out the window of my study. It's sunny outside, that much I can tell anyways. I was meant to start lab reports long ago but I find myself distracted by this window. It's really quite mundane out there. All I can really see is a whitewash wall of next door's house  and a bit of roof over our hallway. It ain't got nothing on my view from my window back home. From that window I can see the whole of Sligo's Lough Gill and the Lake Isle of Innisfree made famous for it's hives for honey bees by W.B.Yeates. I get how it inspired him. The view is breathtaking. Not the most handy when you're trying to study mind you. I used to spend hours a day "studying for my leaving cert" just staring out that window.
This window isn't so glamourous, though provides an equal distraction all the same. My view is obscured by venetian blinds but I can see the chimney pots of Dublin in the distance all the same. We don't have blinds in my house at home. They remind me of my granny's old house in Monkstown. She had white plastic ones that I'm sure were very "modern" at the time of installation. My Dad still tells the story of his neighbors the McIntaggarts of Blackhorse Avenue with their multi-coloured Venetian blinds; they were the type of family who today might read the Sun or another paper of that ilk. Some day I'd like to write a book about the McIntaggarts I think. 
The blinds that I'm looking through now are wooden, some kind of plywood but they're nice and from afar they look quite expensive I suppose. It's nice to live in a big house this year and to have a separate study to myself. Last year's house had character but it really was very cramped.
I guess I should stop staring out the window and get cracking with these reports. One's on LabVIEW and the other is on lead creep measurement. 

The joys of mechanical engineering ay?!

Keep on growling,
The Little BLonde Bear

No comments:

Post a Comment