Wednesday 23 November 2011

"Ferris, please. You've gone to far. We're going to get busted."



This is possible one of my most favourite items of clothing I own. I posted about it before on my old blog Cooltured and I also posted about it on my tumblr account, that's where the first photo is from. The second photo was taken for a project that my housemates and boyfriend had to do for college but I thought the coat looked kinda slick in it so I put it in. As you can see I'm wearing pretty much the same outfit, though considering there's about five months between each of these photos being taken I reckon I get away with it!
I first wanted a jacket like this after seeing Sloane, Ferris's girlfriend, wearing one in Ferris Buelller's day off and couldn't believe it when the boyfriend bought it for me out of the blue. It's just so wonderfully 80s is it not? I sorta wish I was young back then, the style was so horrendously epic; just look at the shoulder pads on this thing. The 80s and 90s really were great years for fashion; just think of Saved by the Bell or Freaks and Geeks
Anyways, as an ode to 80s/90s high school movie fashion I've decided to give you a low down on some of my favourite looks from this genre...

"Naw, man. That's what I like about these high school girls; I get older, they stay the same age."
Wooderson from "Dazed and Confused"'s epic tight white tshirt and dusty pink pants combo, and let's not forget the epic early 90s 'tash to set off the whole look; it is movember afterall!

"The one in the green is Courtney. She was like Satan in heels. "
Ah "Jawbreaker", the easy-to-watch late 90s American High School flick; popular girls kill their best friend by accident and befriend the loser girl cos she saw the whole thing; the usual. This film is rife with tight sweates, neck scarves, tacky heels and rose tinted sunglasses; perfect 90s "glamour"!

"I woke up in a great mood; I don't know what the hell happened. "
image via http://images.art.com/images/products/large/10103000/10103145.jpg

I have to admit that I've never actually seen "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" but I tried to watch it the other day and the internet was being bold so apologies, I hear it's got a great pool scene in it mind you. Even though I haven't seen it myself, it is a cult classic so I know a bit about it. I wish they had diners in Ireland these days; mainly so I could work there and wear a uniform like this. I think I might just buy a striped red and white shirt and red bow tie mind you and just try and pull off some kind of "look".

"He does dress better than I do, what would I bring to the relationship? "
What list would be complete without the 1995 classic that is "Clueless"? Gossip girl eat your heart out, Cher and Dionne were the true queens of "preppy chic".


What's your favourite 80s/90s high school movie fashion?

all images via google images



2 comments:

  1. Heathers (1988)

    The high school movie to end all high school movies.

    Heather No.1: "You wanted to be a member of the most powerful clique in school. If I wasn't already the head of it, I'd want the same thing"

    and it also has a member of the Charmed cast in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah how could I have forgotten Heathers! Some great green shoulder padded blazers in that film if I remember rightly!!

    ReplyDelete